Jack Carroll Sturgill, age 86, of Petersburg, West Virginia, passed away Thursday, June 27, at WVU Ruby Memorial Hospital in Morgantown, West Virginia. He was born in the small coal camp town of Dorchester in Wise County, Virginia. He was the son of the late Oscar and Sybil Sturgill.
Robert (Bob) Sturgill – Brother, Faye Huff – Sister, Dixie Hill – Sister, Butch Hutchinson – Foster Brother, Virginia R. Sturgill – wife of 61 years – married June 7, 1958, Thomas P. Sturgill (Jan) – son, Daniel A. Sturgill (Linda) – son, Mark K. Sturgill (Janice) – son, Benjamin C. Sturgill – son, Joshua C. Sturgill – grandson, Dalton L. Brennan – grandson, Wesley J. Sturgill – grandson, Sarah Sturgill – granddaughter, Brandon Sturgill – grandson. Preceded in death: parents, one sister (Faye Huff) and one brother (Bob Sturgill).
- He served in the U. S. Navy aboard the USS Remey during the Korean War and was honorably discharged in 1955.
- Graduated from North Carolina State University with a BS in Forestry
- He was a member of the Main Street United Methodist Church
- Petersburg Lions Club
- Society of American Foresters
- Inducted into the WV Ag and Forestry Hall of Fame
- WV Forestry Association
- Friends of Spring Run
- Retired from Westvaco Corporation as a forester for the Luke Mill
- Owned and operated (50 years) Sturgill and Sons Christmas Tree Farm in Pocahontas County, WV
- He loved the outdoors and enjoyed gardening, fly fishing, hunting and spending time with family and friends. He was a very kind, gentle and compassionate man.